Search This Blog

Friday, February 04, 2022

Preparing the Compressor Room - Part 1

 "Even the least of our activities ought to have some end in view." - Marcus Aurelius

 Now that the air compressor is functional, it's time to prepare the room that it will be located in.  For years this room has been storage for all kinds of assorted junk:  Lawn tools, Homebrew containers, sawhorses, etc, etc, etc.  I'm in the process of emptying out the room, in preparation for tape and mud on the drywall, to be followed by primer and paint.  I'm hoping to have it finished before next weekend, so that I can get the compressor bolted down and begin assembling air header lines.


When I installed the shop furnace, I put the thermostat on the outside wall of this storage room, at the opposite end of the shop from the furnace.

And on that busy day, I took the lazy route.  Rather than run the wire up through the inside of the wall, I just punched the hole clear through, then ran the wire up the inside wall, and out through the ceiling.  It was ugly inside the storage room, but I got the furnace going in two days.  

However, this is no longer going to be a storage room, and an unprotected wire running up the wall into the ceiling isn't acceptable now.  This was pretty tacky shit, even by my low standards, LOL.

It took three hours to fix this minor cosmetic issue.  I removed the thermostat, pulled the wire back out of the wall, and removed that section of  drywall.  Next, I drilled up through the framework, and down through the mezzanine floor.  There is about a foot of dead space between the drywall ceiling and the mezzanine level, filled with insulation.  It was next to impossible to locate the lower hole from the upper hole.  Eventually I was able to stick a stiff steel wire through both holes, and pull the thermostat wire down into the wall space.  Afterwards I reconnected the thermostat, and re-installed the drywall.  Then I quit for the day!


UPDATE Feb 5, 2022

Demo'd the shelves and taped the drywall.  Made a dump run with the old shelves, and then had to buy more drywall mud.  The floor is unacceptable.  I'll probably put some epoxy paint on it after I finish with the walls.









UPDATE 6 February 2022

Sanding, then primer, and first gallon of paint.  Taking a nap!





Further posts on this project are linked below:

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4



No comments: