Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Staining the Deck

Staining the deck is an annual or biennial (every other year) chore that I really don't care much for.

To start, the entire deck has to be cleared of stuff - chairs, tables, BBQ, plants, etc, etc, etc.

Next, the deck has to be either scrubbed with mild detergent or pressure-washed.   I prefer to pressure wash it.  This uses less water, and doesn't require even more water for a later rinsing.

Every year I struggle to get the pressure washer to start, and this year was no exception.  Apparently it doesn't like being run just once every other year.  Eventually I gave up on the pull-starter, and charged the starter battery overnight, at which point it started right up. 

It's a great washer when it gets going.  If you get the nozzle too close to the deck, the water stream will cut into the wood.  I got it on sale at Costco for $199.00.  At Home Despot they cost $289.00 

Back to the deck.  A couple of years with no maintenance had left it looking a little tired and showing raw wood.   I've been using this stuff, which costs an impressive $43/gallon at Home Despot.




Before:  Looking toward the shop.  Everything that is exposed to snow and sun has weathered.  Meanwhile, most of the deck that lies under the roof is in excellent condition.

Looking away from the shop.  Again, the deck is very weathered where the roof doesn't protect it.

Re-stained, looking toward the shop.  As usual, the wood was thirsty.  It took a gallon of stain just to do the planks on this one side.  I used a roller on a paint stick, and it took well over an hour just to do this section.  It could probably use another coat - we will have to see if I have time for that.

Re-stained, looking away from the shop.  The section under the roof took 10 minutes time, and maybe a quart of stain. 

The upright sections don't see as much weather, and so I've never stained them before this year.  But it was time.  There was no way I was going to hand-paint these with stain, so I bought a cheap paint gun from Harbor Freight, and sprayed all the spindles and the horizontal upper and lower rails.  I like this because I don't have to worry about hand-staining every crevice!

The little guy up above only cost $22, and it saved me many hours of dabbing stain into tight places.

Before

After:  Looks better!!!!   The air compressor is midway on the deck, because that's where the power is, and I only have a 25ft. air hose.  I could just reach each end of the deck that way.


I'm pretty happy with how my first spray-stain went.  And the deck is now good to go for another year or two.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Deck looks great! Wanna come help me deal with my deck?

Mark said...

Thanks! I have a really hard time getting motivated to do this every year. It's so much easier to kick back on the deck and have a beer than to stain it!!