Search This Blog

Thursday, August 02, 2018

Fluke 8000A Refurbishment - a DMM follow-up

The previous post about the arrival and dissection of the two Fluke meters, and digital multimeters (DMMs) in general, is here:

The Nickel-Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.  I've been working 12 hour shifts, and family time comes before hobby time after work.  For that reason, it took a couple of days to get an hour or two in the shop and goof off with the toys.

I mentioned that the cases came pretty clean, without using hydrocarbon-based cleaners.  Not bad for 50 years worth of grime build-up  in the texturing.
Before:
After:  (couldn't do much about the deep scratches on the bezel)

I tried to get a better picture of the LED display.  Each segment is actually four tiny LED dots!

New re-chargeable batteries in place.  The plastic covers pull the conductors tightly in to the cells, in addition to locking them down. 

lol no.  NiMh. The conductors fit in the slots at the corners, keeping the battery tightly in place and ensuring good contact.

New batteries on charge.  Bulb is limiting charging current... and it's really hot!

The Craftsman multimeter came with a thermocouple junction, so I decided to check how hot the current-limiter was getting.


Pretty hot.  181 degrees F (That's around 83C for my foreign guests).  I have some misgivings about charging these cells in the non-ventilated case. 

Voltage across one of the cells after a couple of minutes charge time.

Slow going on the charge.  I ran out of time and unplugged the meter - my trust in this thing is not very great yet.  I will get back to this and see how things look with a full charge.


No comments: