Search This Blog

Monday, July 03, 2023

Tractor Bits 'n' Pieces (updated with a couple more pictures)

 "If you have assumed a character above your strength, you have both acted in this manner in an unbecoming way, and you have neglected that which you might have fulfilled." - Epictetus

 A while back I dealt with a few tractor issues - 

Once all that was done, I took it for a spin, and it was leaking *a lot* of oil.  Both from the engine, and from the steering knuckles.  This past "vacation" I reluctantly split the tractor apart again and replaced the engine rear crank seal.  

Unfortunately, the rear crank seal was not the source of the oil leak.  My diagnosis skills leave a lot to be desired, and it leads to a great deal more trouble, time, and expense than is necessary. :(

Below:  The old crankshaft seal looks just fine, and it was still reasonably pliable.  No, the oil was coming from elsewhere, although it was dripping from right below the engine rear crank seal...

So I looked elsewhere, toward the UPPER part of the rear of the engine.

At the lower center of the image above, you can tell things are a little bit wet.  It loses a drop of oil every second or two while running, or I probably wouldn't bother to fix it.  But I don't want to run it out of oil, so a significant leak like that needs to be fixed.  

Below:  Puddle of oil that dripped off the tractor long AFTER it was shut down.  

I'm still not exactly certain where the leak originates, but there are a couple of possibilities:  The head gasket, where the pushrods are located, or a square cover at the rear of the cylinder head.  I purchased gaskets for each, plus a valve cover gasket, because that will probably break when I take it all apart.  

I'm not sure what the purpose for the square cover is.  Obviously it's to inspect something, but what?  


Anyhow, here's what showed up - and there is a problem.

Below:  Valve cover gasket, and a new gasket for that square cover plate, in case that's the leak.

Replacement gear oil seals for the steering knuckles.  These have been apart a few times, and are now leaking a bit.

This is the leak these seals will correct.  I won't be using the 4x4, or even driving it much until I can refill the front axle.

Below:  New upper radiator hose.  The old one is spanked, leaking, and has a coat of black paint on it, from the previous owner's "rebuild" (a thick coat of black paint on everything under the hood).

Below:  A replacement cylinder head gasket.  I don't know if oil is leaking from the interface between the cylinder head and the engine block, but it should be pretty easy to figure out once things come apart.

Below:  A fuel injector removal tool.  This is a slide hammer with a specialized attachment for getting out the injectors.  I've tried several times, but feared damaging them without the correct tool.

Unfortunately, the container packing left a lot to be desired, and the slide hammer crimped the head gasket during shipping.  This should be perfectly flat.  I'll be getting in touch with them soon to see about a replacement.

Update - a couple other images of the gasket from different angles.  It might have been usable, but the ding hit the inner circle a little, where there cannot be any defects.




 

 

Not sure when I'll have time to deal with this, but it should only take half a day or so, once I get a replacement head gasket.  I'm hoping to pull the fuel injectors and give them a spin on the wire wheel - maybe soak them in some solvent.  The tractor smokes quite a bit, and you smell that it's half-burnt diesel.  Hopefully with clean injectors, it will smoke a bit less than it now does.

UPDATE:  I spoke with a sales guy at the tractor parts place.  They requested a photo of the damaged item, which I completely understand.  After seeing the picture of the damaged cylinder head gasket, they agreed to replace it at no cost.  Thank you, Hoye Tractor!  You guys rock!

UPDATE 2:  That replacement cylinder head gasket arrived "2nd Day Air".  I can't recommend these guys highly enough, for making things right, and for spending the money to express ship the item.






















No comments: