Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Concert: Falling in Reverse, Ice Nine Kills, Our Last Night, and Catch Your Breath

 "Do not act as if you had ten thousand years to throw away.  Death stands at your elbow.  Be good for something while you live and while it is in your power." - Marcus Aurelius

Another day, another concert - this is two concerts in a row.  I'm getting worn down - and can't even imagine what it's like to be a musician on the road, on tour.   Our drive to the venue takes about an hour.  We have been taking the Subaru, because nobody would bother to mess with it.  Also, if an aggressive Washington State driver crashes into us, I won't care very much.

Yesterday was the band that I wanted to see.  Today was the bands that our daughter wanted to see - there was a bit of a horror theme to the tour.  There were four bands playing, which was good from my perspective, since I don't have much exposure to this sort of music.  The first band, "Catch Your Breath" was pretty good.  I enjoyed most of the songs they played, although of course I didn't recognize any of them.



A couple of sample songs from their YouTube Channel:



The second band was named "Our Last Night".  On YouTube, most of their songs are cover songs.  It was a little odd watching them, as they were a three piece band, without a bass player, yet there was a bass playing in each song - so apparently they had a pre-recorded track that they played along with.  It just seemed a little odd.  They sounded good though!



 A sample of one of their original songs is below. 


Next up in the line-up was Ice Nine Kills.  I had no idea what to expect when this group took the stage, but they were far and away the most entertaining and musically skilled of the bands we saw.

The entertainment came from them acting out scenes of horror movies while playing through each song.  One scene was the tuxedo, raincoat and axe scene from "American Psycho", another was the shower stabbing scene from the original Hitchcock "Psycho".  Then there was a scene from the movie "It", and another from the movie "Jaws",  and another from "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".  All while playing music :)  These guys also had some amazing harmonized vocals that I really enjoyed, along with the theatrics.


Below we have a visit from the shark from "Jaws", followed by the singer dressed as the clown from the movie "It".  Pretty sure these guys don't take themselves all that seriously.



A couple of samples of their music.



Finally we arrived at the headliner, "Falling in Reverse".  The light show was great, and the band was very polished, but there were only a couple of songs that I really enjoyed.  Not my thing, I guess.

 



A couple of samples of Falling in Reverse


I'm hoping to get a day off from both work and activities later this week, but it' not clear that will happen.  I guess life could always be worse :)


4 comments:

Marc said...

Wow, you start out bashing Washington drivers. At least one of your readers is a WA driver. I would completely understand if you referenced Seattle drivers. They are crazy and always seem to be in a hurry. I really don't know about the drivers in the Spokane area. For the record, my last traffic ticket was in 1977 (not including parking tickets). The music is definitely not my cup of tea. Glad you enjoyed some of the music, and took your daughter.

Mark said...

Sorry Marc, it's just that when someone is riding my azz when I'm already 10mph over the speed limit, it's inevitably a car with a WA plate. Spokane drivers are legit aggressive lane-changing wanna-be NASCAR idiots.

I can't say that music was my cup of tea either, but the experience was cool. I try to keep an open mind, even if its not my thing. I'm pretty sure that I can't listen to the Eagles forever, you know!

Marc said...

No worries Mark. Just giving you a friendly hard time. I'm sure some have been rather unhappy with my driving. At least in the past. One instance comes to mind, and was on Roanoke Dr. Think you may have been with me. Regarding the music...yes, the Eagles are amazing, though I've never been to one of their concerts. Had to discontinue going to most concerts/performances due to my head pain. Once in a while I'll tough it out, if the band/event is one on my bucket list.

Mark said...

Hahaha I thought I'd seriously pissed you off LOL. I always feel shell-shocked after a concert - the music is that loud. I could feel my shirt vibrating against my arms. Fortunately it's a once or twice a year thing.