Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2018

First Blood - The original Rambo Movie


I watched the original Rambo movie "First Blood" in 1982 at a mall cinema in Saratoga Springs, NY.


At the time I was a student in class 8201 at the S8G naval reactor at the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in West Milton, NY.  I was feeling kinda homesick, having been away from Idaho for nearly 2 years.

I've never been much of a theater movie-goer.  When I go, it's usually because I've been dragged along by friends or family.  That was the case this time as well.

I enjoyed the movie - thought it was OK.  I never expected it to open a dialogue about veterans and their inner issues - and what's come to be known as PTSD.  I just thought it was a cool action movie.

What really caught my attention about the movie though, was the location.  Supposedly Rambo was passing through a small town in the Pacific Northwest.  I was struck by the stunning scenery.  Yes, it was gloomy, rainy, and overcast.  But it was also lush and beautiful, with amazing mountains, streams, and mist.  It made me miss the western US even more than I already was.
 

However the movie certainly didn't look like the West where I grew up!!!   I was raised in the Idaho Treasure Valley, a semi-arid river valley with nearby semi-arid coniferous forests.  
By PdxCobra - Own work, Public Domain, Link

My friends didn't want to stay and watch the movie credits, so in the end, I had no idea the movie was filmed.  I was curious though - it looked like a place I'd like to visit someday.  Eventually I forgot about the movie.  I had other things to worry about - like the submarine service, operating a  propulsion plant, and going on deployments.

First Blood was on TV recently, and it once again piqued my curiosity about the location.  This time I had the internet (on my phone) to help me figure it out!  God Bless the Internet!!!  First Blood was not filmed in the US at all.  The filming location was Hope, B.C. in Canada.  It's still beautiful.
By User: (WT-shared) Minnow at wts wikivoyage, Link



So yeah, I'd love to visit at some point!  What an amazing place!  Happily, it's only about 250 miles away, as the crow flies, 350 as the car drives.

1 comment:

Marc said...

The Canadian Rocky's are very beautiful. The wife and I had the pleasure of riding the gondola up to the top at Whistler ski area. What a view!!! The name of the town of Hope rings a bell and we may have driven through but just can't remember for sure. The Capilano Suspension Bridge is worth a visit should you find yourself up there.