Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Documentary on Submarines during the Cold War

I found this cool documentary on submarine operations during the Cold War. 

At time 22:40 they have a segment on the NR-1, the worlds smallest nuclear submarine, which I nearly re-enlisted for. 

The segment right after that is about Navy divers doing special operations.  Having been in the submarine service during that era, I can say that the documentary comes close to describing a couple of situations my ship found itself in.  I was NOT involved in any of the specific incidents mentioned in the show.

Cool video below on how subs and the cold war were deeply connected.


The last segment on Sweden is interesting.  It suggests that US submarines may have been creating fake "Soviet periscope sightings" to swing a neutral Sweden toward NATO.  A false-flag operation.

For a really entertaining book on this subject, I recommend this: Blind Man's Bluff:  The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage.  Disclaimer: I cannot confirm or deny anything... ;)

No comments: