Search This Blog

Saturday, March 09, 2013

Getting fitter

The blog description used to have "weight lifting" in it.  I took it out because I never really blogged about that.  Maybe I will put it back in now that I am exercising again. 

For the past six months I was on a low-carb, ultra low calorie diet.  I lost 40 lbs, but at about 195 lbs, found it very difficult to make any further progress.  I was bouncing between 190 and 195 and miserable from 6 months of semi-starvation. 

Rather than continue to do what was not working (only harder), I decided to take a different approach. 

At the beginning of this month, I started exercising (something you shouldn't be doing when you are calorie-starved), and moved to a high protein, moderate carb, moderate fat diet.  So far I like the results.  More muscle definition and bulk, even if some fat is still on top of it.  I definitely won't be seeing my abs for a while!!!

I figure that I will put on some solid muscle and develop a very active metabolism.  Then later I will go slightly calorie deficient, with light exercise and high protien.   This combination should really help shed the remaining fat while sparing the new calorie-burning muscle.

That's the plan, anyway.  But right now I am sore like I was dragged behind a car for 30 miles :)

No comments: