Search This Blog

Thursday, May 04, 2023

Moss Blasters

 "If someone falls off the roof, I'd rather it be someone else." - Me

 The roof has been accumulating moss on the north-facing side since we moved here.  Bits and pieces of that moss were beginning to roll off the roof from time to time, and looking like dog poop.  As the chief dog-poop scooper, I found the little mossy chunks disturbing, and so I made arrangements to have them removed.  

The process took two workers two hours, and cost about $500.  I didn't shop around, just pulled a name from the phone book and inked a contract.  It was worth every penny for me to not get up on the roof, as it has quite a steep pitch due to building code regarding snow.  I've been on the roof before to repair a loose shingle, and was constantly sliding downwards the entire time.  Not a good feeling

The guys did a great job, and cleaned up nicely once they had finished the roof.  The siding and eaves got a washing, the rain gutters and downspouts got washed out, and they gathered up most of the moss from the grass.  I told them not to worry about the scattered moss too much, as those chunks will be bagged up next time we mow.

Now for the photos of work in progress!










After they finished, I had to dash off to work for the night.  I took a few "after" pictures yesterday






I'll need to make some adjustments to tighten up the heat trace wires that got knocked loose, but that can be done from a ladder :)




1 comment:

Marc said...

I think a strip of zinc or copper will make it so moss never accumulates on the roof. The strip would be placed along the very top. I need to do this with my roof, but first I need to find out what adhesive to use from my father-in-law(he built his own house and suggested the strip).