Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Brick

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." - Plato

 The USB memory stick was playing on shuffle yesterday on the way to work, and a really cool song came up, called "Ain't gonna hurt nobody" by a band called "Brick".  I'm sure I've listened to the tune many times, but for whatever reason on that day, I picked up on how nicely the instruments interweave in this tune.  

There's a lot going on in the song that I like.  Horns, a nice bass line, and plenty of melodic complexity.  About halfway through a flanged, delayed, and chorused guitar joins in.  And yes, it's a wee bit repetitive - a bit of repetition doesn't bother me if the tune is cool enough.  Really a nice arrangement.  Have a listen. 

Brick formed in 1972, from members of two bands - one band was a disco band, and the other a jazz band.  I guess I like the fusion of disco and jazz - at least the way these guys do it.  Their biggest hit was a song called "Dazz" (a conjunction of the words 'disco' and 'jazz').  You will likely recognize the song.

Check out the bass line in the song below!!!  Great sax too.  I think even the vocals are run through a flanger.  This live video is not synchronized to the studio recording.  I really miss those days when competence on an instrument was necessary for musical fame...


 Once again, a really rich song, with some really neat riffs and great musicianship.

They also had a lesser-known hit called "Dusic".  You can definitely hear the influence of Billy Preston in the song.  Lots of nice funk riffs and keyboard going on.   I may have to get this album and hear all of it.

Sadly The founder and guitarist Regi Hargis, passed away October 2021, at the age of 70.

Oh yeah and this great song rolled right afterwards.  It's from a pretty big Canadian Pop/Rock band named "Theory of a Deadman" - the music is similar to that of Nickelback, and I believe the lead singer and songwriter from Nickelback was in the band at one time.  Anyway, it's cool bluesy rock music - even if it is a bit commercially friendly :)  The song name is "No Surprise".  Very catchy!






 

 

No comments: