Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

" 'Normal' is a setting on the clothes washing machine"

 "Do not get too attached to life, for it is like a sailor's leave on shore and at any time, the captain may sound the horn, calling you back to eternal darkness." - Epictetus

 You get two quotes in one post!  The title of this post is something I read in an online comments section about "normalcy bias".  The second is the inestimable Epictetus.

 Just finished seven straight night shifts.  My own shift, plus coverage for someone else's shift.  So another 84 hour work week - it pays the bills.  With a little bit left over for fun - except you gotta be off work once in a while for the fun bit.

A few items arrived in the mail while I was working.  Once that was finally over with, there was a bit of Christmas-like package opening.  The first thing was a backup key fob that will need to be programmed to operate the new-ish car.  The second was a replacement case for the scuffed up fob.  The one on the left is the nice empty case that just arrived.

So I set about transferring the guts from the fob on the right to the case on the left.  Had to watch a video to figure out how to even get it apart.  It's not intuitive or easy at all.  Very clever, those Germans!  All the other key fobs I've seen can be opened with a screw or a coin in a pry slot.  I took a lot of pictures in case things got confusing later on.  

Below:  The reverse side of the cases.  No obvious way in.

Once you pop the physical door key out of the fob, there is a latch down inside this channel you need to press, and then the secret side opening can be released.  The gray thing in the channel is the release mechanism.

Below:  Secret panel has been released and is partially removed.

The secret panel is actually a tray that contains a CR2022 battery.  The tray has a robust seal, and that is really nice.

Down inside the key fob is a black spacer and a circuit board with an EEPROM to set the code to unlock the car.

Unfortunately... I had ordered the wrong style of case.  The battery trays were slightly different.  The electronic board from the old case installed OK into the new case, but neither of the battery trays would insert afterwards. 

I probably won't bother to return the incorrect case via eBay.  It was inexpensive, and I have another one on order of the correct model.  The replacement key hasn't been programmed yet, as I've been busy working.  The Mercedes dealer hasn't returned my call about doing the programming either.  Maybe people are inflation-adjusting their work efforts :)

More important than the replacement case for the old key fob, these arrived!

The top item is the new license plate, and the bottom item is the new owner's manual.  The "K" indicates the car is registered in Kootenai County.

I spent an hour or so fumbling through the owner's manual, and learned a few things about all the questionable buttons around the car.  I was able to set the time to the correct value!  Apparently the front seats have "wings" in the backrest that will activate when you are under side g-loading.  Not my style of driving, but I really must test this feature out - when the snow has melted off.  Impossible to get side loading now that the roads are icy.  You will slide off into the ditch right now instead.

When I was finished reading the manual and putting it away, I located some paperwork in one of the stash boxes in the car.  Nice ride!  Too pricey for me though!


"$3000 Gas guzzler tax"  So - a California car.  Price as new - too much.

 There is also a "navigation CD" in the glove box - Surely outdated.  I wonder if they still support their old technology and make updated ones?

This product came in the mail as well.  I noticed the headlight housings are a bit frosty, so we will see how well this works!  Amazon gave it high ratings, and I will be sure to render an opinion - I've got those aplenty.

Below:  Some of that crust on the headlights is road grime, and some of it isn't.

I also dumped a gallon of the stuff below in the windshield wiper reservoir.


If you look closely at the image, the text says this is good to -25F (-32C).  We've had a couple of occasions when the wiper spray nozzles froze solid, as grime coated the windshield.  Not fun.  I no longer take chances with this - even though I don't *plan* on having this out in the winter months.

Poor old Subaru.  Crashed to the point insurance didn't even want it, and now outdoors in the weather :(  Looks lonely.  It's still my baby.  Gets me to work and has never once left me stranded alongside the road.











2 comments:

Marc said...

Crashed? Don't recall hearing anything about a crash. Could be a figure of speech I'm guessing. I was pretty attached to my old 4x4, but after 25 years it was time to let it go.

Mark said...

The Subaru was wrecked by a previous owner and the insurance company totaled it. It was revived by a body shop here in town and issued a rebuilt title.

It still drives a bit funny, but the price was right and it gets me back and forth to work with a good heater and good sound. It's everything I need in a commuter car that will be exposed to ice melt!