Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2019

Utility Room shelving and a new shop knick-knack

I've completed the drywall, painting and trimming of the furnace/utility room in the basement.

Now it's time to add shelving.  I picked up a 4x8 ft sheet of paint-grade particle board on a day when it wasn't raining.

I had the guy in lumber cut a couple of 8ft x 1ft sheets to use for shelves, and also had him cut a couple of 8ft x 4inch strips to use for ledger boards.

Below:  Preparing to run the router along the edge of the shelves to radius the edges.

Below:  The shelf edges have been rounded off with the router and sanded smooth.  Also radiused the corners so that there won't be any pointy spots to worry about.  I made cut-outs for where the pipes have to pass through each shelf.  I've painted the top side, but still need to get the bottom of each shelf, then do a second coat on each side.

Now I just hope all the measurements were correct!  They say measure twice and cut once.  I usually end up cutting several times, no matter how much I measure.

UPDATE:

Installing ledger boards on the walls

Bits and pieces ready to install


Finished!

Another angle



Now for the cool shop knick-knack!  I bought this little guy on Amazon for twenty bucks.  I'm not talking about the 1/2" wrench.  That's just there for size comparison.

The little puck replaces the retaining flange on one side of a radial saw blade.  When the saw runs, centrifugal force activates a switch in the puck, which energizes a small laser diode.  The laser light spins with the saw blade and shoots out in all directions, but the blade guard keeps the light contained.  The light mostly shines down onto the object being cut, just to the left of the blade.


The blade will chop into the wood just to the right side of the laser beam line.  Cool!

No comments: