Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Drywall and finish work

I finished painting and trimming the utility room.

The original post where I did the drywall, taping and first coat is here.

There are a lot of issues that I could have improved on if I had been willing to invest more time.  Samples of my screw ups below... Tape showing and poor cut-out.

A wide second coat of mud would have made this horizontal joint disappear.

 This one vertical joint too.

 Poor cutout.  I'll put a little 1" wood frame around this box soon.

Some of this stuff was gonna be ugly no matter what.  This looks like some sh*t from the alien movie LOL.

 All of the less-than awesome pipe penetrations are below.  I keep telling myself that it's just a furnace room anyway.




Even though it's just a furnace room, I decided it would look better trimmed out.  Bought some cheap baseboards and coated them with polyurethane out in the shop.

Cut and installed some door framing, then the baseboards.  The work isn't great.  I'm neither a drywaller nor a finish carpenter :)

Dragging the air compressor downstairs so that I could use the nail gun was awful.  It weighs a ton.   

Dragging it back up the stairs afterwards wasn't any fun either!

I've been waiting to have this room finished to install the fire extinguisher.  I kept it in the box it came in on the floor until today.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Good job. Looks a whole lot better than before.

Mark said...

Thanks Eric. It's not very polished, but it's not a room we have to live in. I'd probably have invested more time if it were.