Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Spring Vacation 2018, Part 2

Part 1 is here:

I did not complete the big project I was working on during vacation in March.  It was a little discouraging.  I was uncertain about my skills building and hanging the doors on the new cabinets, so I held back from doing that.

But in the end, I knew that I had to complete the project.  I had the materials for the doors cut, but not assembled, and I had purchased the hinges and door handles.  Time to suck it up and screw up or get it finished.  So I set about it.

I have been told by legit woodworkers that you can't have too many clamps.  This proves it.  I had to glue nine doors together, but could only manage two at a time.

The door frames are solid oak and the panels are 1/4" thick birch plywood.  I like the contrast quite a bit.

I had a little bit of overhang in the joints that had to be cut off with the table saw, and then re-stained.


They sell a template and drill combo for making holes to mount hidden hinges.  I got these for about $12.

Holes for hinges.

Hinge installed on door.

And then I mounted the doors on the cabinet face frames.  Done!

Bearing in mind that it looked like this before, it's a big improvement!


No comments: