Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Minor shop improvements...

I had a little bit of extra material remaining from the big cabinet project, so...


...I decided to make a mini-cabinet out of the remaining oak plywood.  I glued 3/4" wide strips of oak to the front side to hide the plywood edge grain.  I drilled it for adjustable shelves, and installed 1/4" thick backing to keep it square.

I had a couple of beat-up melamine sheets that I used for shelves.  The shelves are made of particle board, and after cutting them to size, the edges looked nasty.  To hide those edges, I cut 1/4" deep strips of oak off a board and glued that strip to the front of each shelf.  It came out pretty nice.  I may stain it in the future, and maybe not!

EDIT: I did decide to stain it, and it looks much better.

Below are some cheap bookshelf speakers that were once part of an inexpensive home-theater sound system.  They had been in a box for many years before I found a use for them in the shop.  Previously I had them on shelves, but the shelves are gone, and so it's best to mount them and point them in the desired direction.   I didn't bother hiding the plywood edges with oak strips on this arrangement. 
I also added this little remote-controlled switch to turn on the under-cabinet lights without having to plug them in every time I need to do some work.

The projects are small, but they all add to my skill set and to the convenience of the work area!

No comments: