Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Time for hobbies?

 "Receive without conceit, release without struggle." - Marcus Aurelius

 I've been on a regular 8 hour day schedule now for two weeks.  7:00 AM to 3:00 PM.  A mere 40-hour work week.  Why does it seem as if I have *less* time than before, when I was working 50-60 hour weeks?  How do people accomplish anything on a normal schedule?

I get home earlier, play with the dog more, and spend more time with the family now... but I don't have days and days off to mess with the old truck.  Now I get Saturday, and half of Sunday.  

And I often feel just as exhausted at the end of an 8-hour day when I've been "on" the entire time, than at the end of a 12 hour shift when I was just monitoring equipment.  Previously, at the end of a 12 hour shift - no matter how difficult or stressful - I was always able to go home and stop worrying about work.  


 Unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

Hopefully this is just part of the learning and settling in phase.  With luck, I'll be able to relax learn to handle the chores without devoting so friggin much mental energy.  It's very taxing. 

No comments: