Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

F100 quick update

 "Be a free thinker, and don't accept everything you hear as truth.  Be critical and evaluate what you believe in." - Aristotle

 Today is the day of the week that the county waste station accepts Hazmat - Hazardous Materials.  So today will be the day I go to town for a few errands.  I'll take the old F100 gas tank, the foul-smelling gas that came out of it, my aluminum (Monster Energy Drink) recycling, and maybe get the plow truck's oil changed while I'm near a Jiffy Lube.  If it's lucky, I might also take it through a car wash afterwards.

As for the F100, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern at the moment.  The kid's car needs both Oxygen sensors replaced, and I had promised her that I'd install some shelving in her room.  The F100 has some parts on order though, and once those arrive, I'll be moving along with the project - slowly, to be sure.

There's a front end disc brake conversion kit with a vacuum boost assist.  I ordered it with a couple of upgrades - braided hoses and powder coated calipers.  It should be an enormous improvement in braking.  The rear brakes will remain drums.  There just isn't enough weight back there to justify the expense of converting over to disc brakes.

The current brake lines in the truck I'll assume are junk and full of rust, so those will be replaced with stainless steel ones - which should NOT rust.  I'm not sure these will fit exactly with the non-standard vacuum brake booster, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it - bend this tubing or add to it as necessary.


As mentioned earlier, a modern wiring kit with modern fuse block and connectors will replace the old wiring.  This even has circuits for power windows, should the owner decide to add them.

Lastly, engine mounts.  I need to next remove the hood and get the engine out.  Once the engine has been removed, I can clean it, add some shiny parts, clean out and paint the engine bay, and replace the solid motor mounts with rubber-coupled ones.


 Further update:  The fuel tank is gone, the skunky gasoline is gone. 

The plow truck got an oil change (but no bath).  The Jiffy Lube shop puts a sticker in the window every time you change oil, and this sticker said the last oil change was in March of 2019 - just before Covid lockdown, LOL.  I still hadn't gone the recommended 5000 miles though!

I was unable to replace one of the O2 sensor's on the kid's car (driveshaft interfering with the wrench).  Also the kid's car has a short circuit which keeps blowing fuses for the passenger side turn signals.  I've no circuit diagrams, so it's going to the mechanic.

Oh yeah:  I also placed a new window on order for the F100 truck, as the driver's side glass is cracked.









No comments: