Search This Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2023

First nickel plating project

"I'm convinced that a controlled disrespect for authority is essential for a scientist." - Luis Alvarez

 Note:  I had initially tacked this on at the bottom of the previous post about making nickel plating solution, but that post got really long, and this is sort of a different topic.  So I made it a separate post.

With the success of nickel plating the nail, I decided to try plating something worthwhile.  It's not ready yet, but it will be soon.  I'm going to attempt to plate the little switch plate from the 1937 GE Monitor Top refrigerator.  The chrome finish is worn down to the copper :(  The latch and hinges aren't much better.

But before we can nickel plate it, the paint has to be removed.  So I hired a stripper.



Once it's down to bare metal, I'll see if I can get a decent coat of nickel on, and then repaint the logo and numbers with an ivory white color.  Afterwards, I'll try to find time to really restore the old fridge properly.

Another thing to bear in mind if you decide to electroplate anything, it must be completely free of oils, and that includes fingerprints.  Clean your item with carb cleaner or mineral spirits, and don't touch it again before you submerge it.  Use gloves or clean tools to handle the item, or it won't have a good finish.

UPDATE 27 August 2023

That paint stripper wasn't cutting the mustard, with regard to getting the enamel removed from the crevices - even after 48 hours of contact time.

So, on to plan B.  Mineral Spirits/White Spirits/Naptha.  


I was not sure if this would melt the little plastic container, so I moved over to an old coffee can.

We will see if a couple of days in this stuff will soften the enamel a bit more.  I don't want to get aggressive and ruin the metal finish - a toothpick is about as harsh as I'm willing to go mechanically to remove the paint.

UPDATE:  Several attempts at plating this item.







 

 

No comments: