Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Tired of tires

 "Knowledge is one thing, virtue is another." - John Henry Newman

Last weekend I had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.  Friday was the only day available to conduct business, but I'd just come off night shift Friday morning.  As a result, half of Friday was also shot because I needed to sleep for a bit. 

After a few hours of sleep I dragged myself out of bed and headed... where else?  To the tire shop.  The fatter rear tires had arrived and it was time to have them installed.  Yes it was.  I like this tire shop - I get to go back and talk with the guys doing the work, learn a bit from them, and take cool pictures!  A big chain store would never let a customer into the work area - because lawyers.

The old tires were definitely spanked, and pretty much finished.  I've not even driven 1000 miles on this car, so this was not my handiwork!

Alas, the second set of replacement brake pads that I'd ordered from Amazon once again did not fit.  Apparently this model has two different brake styles, depending on trim, and I'd again ordered the wrong ones.  The tire shop has now ordered both sizes, and they will return the unneeded pads once they've installed the correct ones.

All four Tire Pressure Monitor sending units were replaced at the same time the rear tires were installed.

The TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) gave a big red warning across the dash afterwards about tire pressure - possibly because all four tires had been at zero pressure earlier.  The car seems to recognize the new sending units, so that's nice.  I need to perform another TPMS reset. The menu to get there is not intuitive, so I'll have to review the process once again.

Now though, there is a leak on the left front tire, so either the bead isn't sealed properly, or the new valve stem has a leak - it's losing about 10 psi of air per day.  So back to the tire shop once the brakes arrive for tire repair and rear brakes.  Two steps forward, one step back.

UPDATE:  Drove the speed-barge to work one day this week, and apparently the car has now realized that it *does not* recognize the new tire pressure sending units.  Two steps forward, one and a half steps back. 






 

 

 

No comments: