Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2021

Time for a post!

 Hippocrates cured many illnesses - and then fell ill himself and died. 

The Chaldeans predicted the deaths of many others - in due course their own hour arrived.

Alexander the great, Pompeii, Ceasar - who utterly destroyed so many cities, cut down so many thousand men and horse in battle - they too departed this life.

Heraclitus often told us the world would end in fire, but it was moisture that carried him off; he died smeared with cow shit.

Democritus was killed by ordinary vermin, while Socrates was killed by the human kind.

And you?  You boarded, set sail, you've made your passage.  Time to disembark.

If it's for another life, well, there's nowhere without gods on that side either.

If to nothingness, then you no longer have to put up with pain and pleasure, or go on dancing attendance on this battered crate, your body - so inferior to that which serves it.

One is mind and spirit, the other earth and garbage. - Marcus Aurelius.

Wow, heavy Stoic thoughts...

Time for a quick post, even though I don't have a lot to put up right now.  I just came off two week's "vacation".  Not so much vacation as time mostly spent away from work.  I still had to show up at work for two days - once for arc flash training and once for a safety meeting. 

I piled up some slash for burning, swapped winter tires, and did the spring oil changes.  Then it was the kid's birthday, my birthday, and Easter.  I put on a few pounds, with a bit of crappy eating and cake and ice cream.  No exercise either, hehe.

I did manage to get the Starlink dish permanently mounted, with the system now hardwired into the house LAN.  That means that all the ethernet ports in the house are now working, which is way faster than using the WiFi.

Below: The initial set-up for the Starlink dish.  The data cable was strung across the grass and walkway, then in through a window - which I then closed as much as I could, and then packed with insulation to keep it from being drafty.  The data cable needs to be off the lawn before mowing season starts.

Below:  The new permanent location, with the data cable tucked away and out of the weather.

I began cutting down some trees out front of the house.  I am paranoid about wildfires, and the front trees are too close - the recommendation is 100ft, and the distance is about 30ft.  I'm hesitant to take them, because they are really nice trees, and I hate whacking them just because of proximity.  I've thinned them and limbed them up, so a ground fire cannot become a crown fire.  But they could also fall on the house in a wind storm.  The root systems are really shallow on these, so they tend to fall over a lot.

 
Then there is this project I need to complete...

And I picked these really nice racing wheels up at an Antique store (of all places) for $22 each.  They are Cane Creek Aerohead wheels.  I plan to sell them and pocket the difference.

Here is an unused set that just sold on Ebay, so hopefully I can recoup my $44 investment plus some.



No comments: