Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Then and Now

Not too far from where I grew up is a little town named Vale, Oregon.  (Click any image to enlarge)


Vale (left) is just one of the many small farming communities in the sprawling Treasure Valley area.


On the right sidebar of this blog is a list of "Favorite Sites".  I was visiting the one called Shorpy recently, a website which hosts thousands of high-quality vintage photographs.

I wasn't reading the captions - just looking at the pictures, when I thought that I recognized buildings in the background.  So then I DID read the caption, and the image was taken in Vale, Oregon.  I did not remember Vale from my childhood.  Rather, we had stopped there within the past 10 years or so on the way to visit Boise, Idaho.   We thought the downtown area looked a bit charming, and after getting a snack, took time to briefly tour the downtown area.

So here's a link to the picture that was on the Shorpy website, with the image below.

And below that is a Google Earth street view image from 2012.  Not quite the same perspective.  The image above was shot from the sidewalk and up the street a little ways.  Still the same place though!

Thanks for the unexpected trip down memory lane, Shorpy!

1 comment:

Marc said...

A quaint little town. Would be fun to go through some of the shops on the main downtown strip sometime. Figure I've been close to the town, from simply driving to/from Boise, but never really thought about going through it. Also don't recall you ever mentioning it, although my memory isn't that good either. Nice pictures though, and am glad the town kept a lot of the buildings in tact and/or renovated them. Can you post a google map of where you live now? Nice post.