Search This Blog

Monday, July 02, 2018

Zenith K526W - Update

The original post on the Zenith is Here:

In that original post I had done a little troubleshooting and Identified a tube with a bad heater, as well as capacitors that would need replacement.  I've since replaced all of the non-polarized capacitors with high voltage and good quality Mylar-film capacitors.

I'm having a difficult time sourcing the higher voltage electrolytic capacitors that are needed for the power supply section.  These voltages are no longer used much in electronics, so the ones I've seen have been expensive and/or used.  Rather than purchasing an assortment with several different values, I may be reduced to buying them one at a time as-needed from a vendor at high prices.

On to the project!  These are the capacitors that will be replacing the ones in my old stuff.  I think it cost $15 for the box.

I also purchased a (nearly) full set of replacement tubes for the radio from a seller on Ebay. 

50C5, 12BA6, 12BE6, 12AT6  The only tube I didn't need was a 35W4 (so I cannot replace one of the two 12BA6 tubes), but that can be set aside for later.  The tubes have not yet arrived.

 Before replacing the paper and foil capacitors

After.  It's amazing how much smaller the new capacitors are.
Looking forward to giving this a whirl and seeing if it's going to work!

Second update is here:
Third and final update is here:


No comments: