We were given a large cribbage board by my wife's parents. It was pretty banged up, and it's been sitting in the garage awaiting storage or re-finishing. I decided that it would be a decent project that I could accomplish on my one day off, while saving my longer stretches off for larger projects.
Stupid me, I started work on it without taking a "before" picture. By the time I thought to take a picture, I had already sanded the top of the board. The side still shows the original finish and the numerous dents and scuffs that were in the board.
Below, 100% sanded and ready for staining. The sanding actually took quite a while. I started with 100 grit and worked my way up to 400 grit, which seemed good enough. I should have taken the sanding outdoors. What a mess!
Below, stained and about to get a first coat of Polyurethane. Note to self: Skip the foam roller - It makes the Poly bubble and foam. I had to follow up with a dry brush to knock the bubbles down.
Below, drying out after a second coat of Polyurethane. It turned out a little bit lighter in color than the original (I was afraid to use the dark walnut color stain), but it's definitely less abused-looking!