Search This Blog

Sunday, December 03, 2023

Snow Day

 "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

The truck got repaired.  Apparently the fuel filter was plugged.  There is also a fuel bowl heater circuit that had a blown fuse, and a couple of other minor issues.  I don't think it was cold enough on that day to gel diesel after rolling out of a heated shop.  So apparently it was just the fuel filter... sigh.

 Happy day!  Driving the rig back home again.


As soon as I got home, I put the plow back on.


And the light bar that I'd taken off prior to taking the truck in for repair.  That's all the boxes of tools and junk I pulled out of the truck before taking it to town.

Just in time too.  Today was a snow day.  I don't mean that in the pleasant 'stay home by the fire and sip hot chocolate' way.  It was a lot of wet snow, and it had to be dealt with before overnight temperatures froze it solid.


 There wasn't much point dealing with the snow until it stopped falling, which came at about 11:00 AM.  The sun came out, and it briefly warmed above freezing.  It turned into quite a pleasant afternoon once the storm cleared.  At that point everyone was busy plowing, shoveling, and snow-blowing. 

I had to shovel an area for the mother-in-law's old dachshund to do her business.  The Husky prefers deep snow. 

After which I fired up the snowblower and cleared the walkways.  The snow was deep and wet enough to make it slow going.  I thought I had video of that, but I'm not used to the buttons, and apparently didn't turn it on again. Below is an older video of clearing the property.  At about the 15 minute mark, I backed up over some snow that slid off to the side of the truck, and I spend most of the next few minutes off camera shoveling snow from under the truck and cussing.


 Next it was off to church, since I am the trustee who owns a snow plow.  The other trustee owns a tractor, but he also lives quite a distance from church - so he's not really able to clear the parking lot.

 

A panel truck had slid off the road, about halfway onto the highway.  I'm not sure how that happened, but at least everyone was giving him a wide berth.

I managed to turn on and activate the camera while plowing at church.  Apologies for humming along to the music.  I was never aware that I did that!


As I age, it becomes more and more clear why seniors relocate to warmer climates - or if they have the financial means, become snowbirds.  Because these chores happen over and over and over, all winter long.




No comments: