Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Recent developments - not much!

 "Each day acquire something that will fortify you against poverty, against death, indeed against other misfortunes as well; and after you have many thoughts, select one to be thoroughly digested that day." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I took the photo below on the final evening of winter.  Good bye, ain't going to miss it!  There's still a bit of snow remaining on the ground where I plowed it out of the way.


 A commenter dropped by today and asked if I had completed the Voigt pipe speaker project.  I was forced to admit that no, I haven't.  So that's a wake-up call that I need to get busy and finish those cabinets and give them a test drive!  It's been a back-burner project for a bit - partly due to winter, the dog, and a brutal amount of overtime - plus the compressor project and the tractor project.  

The spring outage is coming up soon, but I hope to have the air compressor room finished soon and the air distribution system going soon after that.  Then the tractor, and I can move on with life - and Voigt pipes.

Meanwhile, I've been pondering the old F100 pickup truck, and doing a bit of prep for that work.  Below is the original electrical diagram.  The engine part is wrong, because this has a modern V-8 engine in it now, but the rest should be accurate.

The truck, as I've mentioned before, has no brakes.  The brake booster and master cylinder are MIA, and I have no idea what became of them or what belongs there.  As a result, I have been researching converting the old drum brakes on the front to disc brakes.  They make a complete kit that sells for about $800.  A small price to pay for not dying in a crash.

 

Disc brakes are more reliable and less maintenance, so the front drums (at a minimum) are going away.  The rear brakes I don't much care about.  There is no weight back there to help with stopping, so I might leave them as drums if those are in decent condition.

Anyway, before getting going on the old truck, I need to finish the compressor room.  Today I finally got out to the shop to see how the final coat of urethane dried on the front side of the door.  It looks pretty good, by my low standards LOL.  On the front side only! 


 Then I swung the the door closed into the door frame, and saw all the runs that had dripped onto the other side.  Oops.


And some roller marks on the back side of the door.  I could sand it and make it look better, but I'm not going to worry about any of this.

I need to pick up a pack of door shims, and then I'll install the door and finish up the air system.  I wish I had more time off - it's so hard to get things done when I either need to get some rest, do chores, or both!

Speaking of chores, today I hauled trash to the dump, and found the trash can in the shop stuck to the floor.  One of my sessions with the polyurethane had leaked to the bottom of the trash can, found a small hole, and leaked out onto the floor - sticking the trash can to it :)

Below:  The polyurethane spill at the bottom of the trash can, with the hole in the center of it.

Below: What was left on the floor after I scraped the urethane skin and cleaned it with carb cleaner.

I should have time to install the door sometime this week, even though I'm on night shift. 

Most importantly though, I've added some new music over the past few months!  60's Jazz, 40's and 50's Blues, and some Renaissance Lute Music.  How anyone can listen to "classic rock" all their life is beyond me...




No comments: