Search This Blog

Monday, July 05, 2021

So much for June!

 "It is better to die of hunger having lived without grief and fear, than to live with a troubled spirit, amidst abundance." - Epictetus

Happy Independence Day.  I just finished a couple of weeks off that were (mostly) restful.  The wife has been extremely busy dealing with parent affairs, so I ended up on dog and house-sitting duty for a couple of weeks.  I could get used to that sort of schedule.

We had a record-breaking heat wave that made everyone cower indoors or head to the lake if they owned a boat.  Since I don't own a boat, I cowered indoors.  Now I'm back at work, and also back to exercising and eating correctly.  Vacation is good, but I typically eat garbage and feel like garbage for most of it, so it's good to be back on track, fitness and food-wise.

I was just watching a cool Rick Beato video, where he analyzes an old pop tune (one that I always hated because it was a really sappy duet with bleh lyrics).  I now have a much greater appreciation of the song, having listened to his analysis.

First up, the song.  If you were around in 1983, you will remember it.  It played on the radio non-stop.

Now the Rick Beato analysis.

So this song contains an incredibly complex series of chord progressions, by a musician who was quite famous.  Sergio Mendez was the band leader of a Jazz group called Brasil 66, which I wasn't aware of - this was well before my pop radio days.  Here is one of their more famous hits from earlier in his career.


More Brasil 66 Here

More substantial posts will be forthcoming!


No comments: