Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Finishing up the winter prep

 "Think of your many years of procrastination; how the gods have repeatedly granted you further periods of grace, of which you have taken no advantage.  It is time now to realize the nature of the universe to which you belong, and of that controlling Power whose offspring you are; and to understand that your time has a limit set to it.  Use it, then, to advance your enlightenment; or it will be gone, and never in your power again." - Marcus Aurelius

Woke up much too early today - noon - and was unable to get back to sleep.  Decided to get up and try to get something done.


The husky got spayed yesterday, and she's in a bit of a funk - very whiny and skittish, as well as groggy.  I suppose that I would be too, in her situation.  She is eating and going potty, so that's going OK.

I decided it would be best to continue with winter preps.  I would have swapped to winter tires on the Subie, had that front axle job not been such a battle.  I was too whipped to put any more effort into it the other day.  Today I took care of that.

I rolled the snowplow over on moving dollies and installed it on the truck.  

I put out the snow marker stakes.  You really only need these for the first snowfall or two.  After that, you have pretty clear pathways, and snowbanks to help you avoid unseen objects.  "I'll take objects you don't want to hit with a snowplow for $1000, Alex".  "What is a concrete slab?"

"Stuff you don't want to hit with a snowplow for $500."  "What is a wellhead, Alex?"  You can barely see the orange markers near the well.  They will be easy to spot when the snow comes.

For eight years, I've had 500 lbs of sandbags that I put in the bed of the truck each winter.  Each autumn, I've told myself that I need to make a cross brace to keep them from sliding all over the place.  This year I finally did.  If nothing else it will keep the bottom row of bags in place.

I refilled the bird suet, put the tank heater in the water trough for the deer, and swept up the floor in the shop.  After that the sky got dark and it started to snow (graupel, actually).  Timely!  Before long we won't be able to go out there unless it's been plowed or unless we have snowshoes on.  At least we are closer to being ready for that point.

On the way into work this evening there was a beautiful sunset with a rainbow.  Lots of people pulled over to get a picture.  I ended up running a bit late, so I took the picture while on the move.  No time for a legit picture.  Still pretty though!


Just checked the forecast, and it seems I wasn't jumping the gun, although it felt that way.  Yes, that's 5 inches of snow forecast to begin in about 48 hours!


Update:  Yep the storm arrived.  We had so many people relocate here over the summer, I would imagine the tire stores will be very busy this weekend and snowblowers and shovels will be sold out!









1 comment:

Marc said...

Wish I could move up to that area. Sadly though, my wife would hate the cold and the snow. She was born and grew up in the Portland Metro area. She claims and says she won't mind the cold and snow. I say she's not experienced a temperature inversion before, and sub-zero temps. Once I get my dad's affairs all done, and his condo sells, the wife and I will begin to seriously search for a place to move to. Have been eyeballing Boise but housing continues to be outrageous. So, not yet sure where we'll end up. Just want to get away from Portland/Vancouver and out of Washington(Oregon isn't an option either). Looks like your winter preps are coming along fine and timing is excellent.