Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Action Camera

I recently bought an action camera from an online auction for the very reasonable price of $9.95, plus about $4 for shipping.

The camera is an inexpensive knock-off of the GoPro camera.

I've been wanting to get some video from various points on the motorbike, but couldn't bring myself to part with several hundred dollars to get a GoPro system.  Instead I found a similar system at an auction for ten bucks.  It came with a lot of stuff.

Below: Instruction manual, Camera inside waterproof case, wristband remote control, tie wraps, several mounts, data cable, velcro straps, and spare waterproof back.

When I received the camera, it had no battery.  It worked when plugged into a USB charger though, so I was pretty confident that if I could locate the correct batteries, it would work again.

I ordered a couple of generic 3.7 volt batteries with charger from Amazon for $13.99, and it turned out that they fit perfectly.  I'm pretty sure most of the knock-off Chinese cameras are identical except for the logo, and all use the same battery.  I thought it was funny that a couple of batteries cost more than the entire bag of camera goodies.

It's a nice little camera that can shoot in 4K.  There is a WiFi App that you can run it with in addition to the wrist remote.  It does not have the ability to manually adjust the image quality like a GoPro does though.  It came with an 8GB memory card, which I upgraded to 64GB.  That should allow 2 hours of 4K.  However 4K only shoots at 25 fps.  It can go 60 fps at 1080P though, so I will be using that.

Below:  The camera apparently has not been used.  The manufacturer's protective film was on the rear LCD display of the camera body, and is still on the lens of the waterproof case in this picture.  You can see the air bubbles.

It's really tiny!

It even came with a suede-like bag to put all the accessories in...  for Ten bucks.  Crazy.

The only bad thing is that my timing on the purchase really stinks.  The temperature right now is 13 degrees F. (-10.5 Celsius for my international friends).  I won't be posting any motorcycle action videos for quite a while. :(

Edit:  I checked out the Maginon AC-777 WiFi app.  I ain't putting that crap on my phone!  They want access to your contacts, location, microphone, etc etc etc.

There's another app that works for all these generic action cameras.  It wants me to turn on GPS before it will let me sync to the camera.  That isn't going to happen.  Looks like it will be the wristband remote, then.

EDIT:

This past weekend, I attached the little action camera to the swing-arm of the old CBR1000 and went for a little ride.   I was able to get some pretty good video, with excellent quality.  I may post the video later on, after editing out some blah footage.  I did get a couple of cool screenshots though.  Remember the camera is attached near the rear wheel axle, so it's not the view you would expect.  It makes for pretty intense video though!




Which is just a different view of this:

No comments: