Search This Blog

Monday, February 09, 2015

Ninth vehicle - 1981 Camaro Z28

The replacement for the Triumph was a VERY reliable car, and my first Chevrolet.  It was a 1981 Camaro Z28 with a 350 cubic inch V8, quadrajet 4V carburetor, and dual exhaust.  It had an automatic transmission, my first auto since the old Cougar.

It was really a pretty car, and looked just like this one.  To these older eyes, it looks a bit gaudy, but I really liked that car.  It was quiet, handled really well, and went reasonably fast without a lot of fuss and rattling.

The interior was pure 80's.  Nothing very inspiring about it.

When I bought the car, radar detectors were illegal in several states, and I still had a tendency to drive a bit over the speed limit.  I installed an under-hood radar detector and placed the remote up under the dash.  It would always give a little OK beep when I started the car, so I knew it was operating.

I liked this car a lot, until I got in a stoplight drag race with a shipmate back in in 1984.  He was driving a 1969 Mustang with a 302 2V, and I couldn't beat him...  He couldn't beat me either, but that wasn't the point.  I immediately wanted a faster car, and started looking for it.  I just now learned that the claimed output of this engine was only 173 horsepower!  That passed for a top-line performance car in 1980.  Good lord...

It wouldn't be too long before I started missing the old reliable Z28.

No comments: