The World Famous Phuzzy's Guide to Wheelies
Wheelies are an integral part of the motorcycling experience. Within the next few paragraphs you will find information on wheelies gleaned from more than 5 minutes of wheelie experience by that world-famous stunter, PhuzzyGnu.
Perhaps one of the difficult aspects of wheelies to master is the fear of what scientists call "Busting Your Ass (BYA)." This is a very real and likely phenomenon associated with wheelies, other stunts, and motorcycles in general. Here are a few hints:
- Start out small. You are not, and will probably never be, Gary Rothwell. So don't go big until you think you're ready.
- Never confuse your intentions with your capabilities. See #1 above.
- Wear safety gear. Helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and back protector are my usual gear when riding, and as a matter of fact you should probably wear full leathers. If you do not wear these items and you mess up a wheelie, you will be scarred and misshapen and unattractive to the opposite sex. Wearing safety gear also makes you feel more confident.
Part Two: Equipment
- Are you in basically good shape?
- Do you have a smoothly operating throttle?
- Do you have a clutch in working condition?
- Do you have a rear brake in case I need to save my ass?
Part Four: The Man Hates Wheelies
Part Five: To Clutch or Not to Clutch?