Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Almost time to ride again

It's getting about time to ride again. The old 2005 CBR1000 has been calling me lately, and every time I see someone else riding, I wish I were out there. I am going to find time - one of these days when it's not cold or rainy :)

When we moved recently, I started the bike in order to walk it up the ramp into the back of my truck. It cranked verrry slowly. I suppose it was the combination of a winter without a trickle charger, and the battery being about 7 yrs old.

Seven years is a pretty good lifespan for a lead-acid battery (my experience has been 5 years tops), so I decided to replace it, rather than to let it leave me stranded somewhere. I got on the internet, intending to replace it with a similar model, and found this website: http://www.atbatt.com/

I was surprised to learn that a company named Shorai manufactures a Lithium-ion battery for my bike. I was more surprised at the specifications of the battery - particularly the weight, capacity, and cycles.

According to the information available, the lithium battery is: "Up to 80% lighter than conventional lead-acid batteries, has up to 2000 cycles - up to 8 times longer cycle life, and stores up to 1 year without recharging." Impressive!!!

Here are the specs for a lead-acid replacement:
Chemistry Dry Charge AGM
Voltage 12
Capacity 2000 mAh / 2.00 Ah Rating 24 Whr
CCA 190
Length 6.00 inch / 15.24 cm
Width 3.43 inch / 8.71 cm
Height 3.69 inch / 9.37 cm
Color Gray
Weight 7 lb / 3.18 Kg
Here are the specs for a lithium-ion replacement:
Chemistry Lithium-Iron Phosphate
Voltage 12
Capacity 14000 mAh / 14.00 Ah Rating 168 Whr
CCA 210
Color Black
Weight 2 lb / 0.91 Kg
Putting the new battery in after removing the lead one, it actually felt hollow, like a battery with nothing inside it. But it cranked the bike really well.

I took the bike for a short ride down to the end of our road, to warm it up, then tried to get a wheelie out of it. I don't think it likes the altitude (2500ft)very much, cuz it really didn't want to wheelie. I guess the next thing to do is to have the Honda dealer do spring maintenance.



They look a bit lonely, don't they?

No comments: